One of my favorite foods hands down would be sticky rice!
A staple in our house eating at least once a week, sometimes twice a week. Served by itself or with sides, once in awhile with thin slices of mango.
Sticky rice is super easy to make, the longest part is really the soaking of the rice! You do have to soak the rice, I’d recommend overnight in cold water. I tried soaking for less in hot water, but the rice didn’t seem to taste the same. Also in a clear container, metal containers give an off taste.
- Sticky Rice – I use Three Rings
- Sticky Rice Steamer Pot
- Sticky Rice Steamer Basket
- Sticky Rice Serving Basket
- Clear Container
- Bamboo Rice Paddle
- Pot Lid
- Soak rice in clear container in cold water for about 10-14 hours
- Once the rice has been soaked pour the rice in the sticky rice steamer basket & rinse the rice with more cold water
- Place the sticky rice steamer basket in the sticky rice steamer pot, running more cold water over the rice, but the water drains into the pot. Don’t overfill the pot, maybe 3.5 inches, you don’t want the water to touch the bottom of the sticky rice steamer basket when boiling
- Place the burner on high heat, however on a gas stove I place between medium & high
- Place a pot lid in the sticky rice steamer basket over the rice
- Cook for about 20-30 minutes or until the rice does not stick to the side when scraping with a bamboo rice paddle
- Once cooked place in your sticky rice serving basket and enjoy
One of the sides we serve with sticky rice is a plant base meat with a stir fry sauce!
- 2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Sesame Oil
- 3/4 Tablespoon Flour
- Dash of Salt
- 2 Cups Morning Star Meat Crumbles
- 1 Frying Pan
- 1 Rubber Spatula
- 1 Bowl
- Combine dry ingredients: brown sugar, ground ginger, flour, and salt in bowl & stir
- Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients: soy sauce & sesame oil
- Pour ingredients into frying pan, scrap the sides with the rubber spatula
- Place frying pan on medium heat
- Pour in Morning Star Meat Crumbles, use rubber spatula to mix
- Place lid, cook for about 5 minutes
- Serve with sticky rice
Let me know how you cook your sticky rice. If you try this out, let me know, share photos below!
A couple photos of the process, along with Zoie and her favorite food “rice balls”.